Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 13, 2020

Little Things Mean a Lot...




I've had a bit of a surprise while isolating at home and in my sewing room. And count us as those who are carefully following the distancing guidelines! Somehow I thought I'd whip the sewing room right into shape and make it orderly... all the while turning out quilt after quilt. Ummm... that has not happened. Instead, I've been a bit scattered it seems, working first on this project and then on another. Only one quilt has happened, with two others getting closer. And the room looks as disorderly as ever. Has that happened to you? But with that said, I have been working on and completing small projects, so I'm okay with that. The photo above shows one of two journal covers for composition books. They are all quilted and yarn couched, just waiting for some evening hand sewing of beads and embellishments. Hand stitching is pure pleasure to me.



And I made these two patchwork baskets, one of which I'll donate to our Quilter's Boutique for our Country Road Quilters autumn quilt show (details of the show can be found at that link). It's made using a PDF pattern from Etsy and there are three sizes to choose from. This one is the medium size.



And mask making has been happening as well. I know lots of quilters have been at work stitching these for personal use and to donate. Because I find the various organizations who need them have various requirements, I've stuck with sewing masks for personal use and for friends and family. I've made over a dozen (not counting the three that got lost in the mail being sent to our son and family). And I've tried three different patterns. The first style (above, top) is the standard three tuck model. I had no elastic then, so improvised by using three strands of elastic thread for some, and cut rubber bands for others. The third style I tried (above, bottom) is the Better Fit Face Mask designed by PrettyHandyGirl. I like the adjustable straps on this one which allows you to snug the mask up and prevent openings. It also fits under the chin and is shaped with darts.



The pattern offers options for the ties and I chose T-shirt strips. I cut a clean T-shirt crosswise into bands, snipped off the seams, and had nice long lengths of knit. After cutting about 10-12" lengths from the strips, the T-shirt material is stretched so that it rolls into thin tubular cording. Then each strip is threaded through a bead (with a large hole-not every bead will work) and knotted at the ends to prevent the bead slipping off. The bead becomes the slide that allows you to adjust the fit. One tip- I use a floss threader or a length of thread to pull the folded cord through the bead hole. It's much easier than trying to push that soft and somewhat thick knit through the hole.



And this is the second style I made once I got some elastic. This one is very comfortable and designed by Sewing Therapy. There is even a method for adding an optional filter, which I did not do. It seems that among those I've gifted masks to, each person has a favorite style. And each mask has its benefits in terms of ease of sewing, materials needed, and comfort. I have one of each style, and can say that all are quite comfortable and serviceable. Instructions are free and downloadable at the links noted above. Oh, and I've been enjoying the various free instructional videos and classes such as those offered through BluPrint. They even had a mask instructional there. There are still a few days of free streaming available if you haven't visited. I'm loving the embroidery class instruction. "Boho Mixed Media Embroidery" is a fun one. Do stay well and stay in touch. Keep on sewing- Great therapy!


10 comments:

Robbie said...

For some reason, I hit my wall just today!!! Can't get into making anything...even my online class is leaving me just blah! Not like me at all...glad to see you are getting projects completed or even started! Guess life isn't all that different for most of us, is it! HA Take care...love the basket(s)! And kudo's on your masks!

sonja said...

Yes i have been restless also, scattered with short attention span moments. my studio center table is scattered with paper bits cause i am loath to finish tax totals.Can't get into making anything as well and have watched fabric mask making on you tube until i went numb.have few of DH tee shirts and we have been trying to reinvent the wheel it seams. i have thoughts of painting thoses white tee shirt parts perhaps with my printing inks in a polkadotty style. i like the stretched outstrips and got to thinking of the loopy yarn potholder i bought 20 years ago and wondered if i could make my own colors on the blanco ones here.of course i would need to sew them into loop then........found it!
Nancy thanks for your mask possibilities.... Loved the one with horses upon it !!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Somehow nothing much has changed in my life, except my attitude. Not sure if it's because I'm feeling it from others on lockdown or if I'm just burned out. At least YOU are being productive. I don't even want to do that! You made some great masks and ones (styles) I've not seen before. I've designed my own style, but it's harder than I anticipated. Yours all look like they were made professionally, while mine is going to look like an amateur made it.

I also like your book cover. It's already a beauty. I love you used some of your hand dyed and hand painted fabric, too.

The Inside Stori said...

Kuddos…..very productive!!!

merriberri said...

Nancy I am so glad that you taught Stitch Meditation at FAB before our world turned upside down. I have made a block each day since then - tomorrow I will have five weeks of meditations. It has been pure pleasure work on them each day. I making masks and is also something I do each day. The time just flows by. My studio is the same - a happy hot mess but I love being in it and creating so don’t worry about your studio - just keep on making stuff!!!

Joyride said...

Hi Nancy, it is Elizabeth from CRQ. I am happy to find your blog. The last 3 days have been a "do nothing day". I have been playing catch up on my Mystery Quilt "Baskets" . I am up to 13. Done a lot of yard work I am glad to say.

Celeste said...

Love your blog as always. I think I will try the T-shirt scraps next. Thanks.

Lynette (NZ) said...

Love the journal cover. Yes it can be hard to settle. I make myself arbitrary deadlines and that's why I love Journal Jam cos it gets me started. Love to see all your gorgeous fabric fun. You look like you are being well productive :-)

Florida Farm Girl said...

Yeah, making masks isn't the most fun thing to do and looks like I need to make some more. SIGH. I like that fabric basket.

Lynette said...

What pretty baskets! Nice masks, too. I think being mentally scattered and constantly distracted is super common amongst us right now!! I know I sure have been.