Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 20, 2020

Bejeweled in Quilty Style...




I've had more luck at completing smaller projects in the sewing room during these days of Covid Confinement. Our Country Road Quilters' Guild will hold the biennial quilt show in early November of this year. One of the highlights of the show is The Shoppe, a boutique-style area featuring quilt related items members have made and donated. I committed to make one of my charm necklaces, and used this time to assemble it. It contains all sorts of sewing related charms and should be fun to wear for its new owner.



I got started by making the button charm that is the centerpiece of the necklace. I'd seen some interesting button necklaces on a quilting friend's social media and got the thought, "Oh, I must try one of those." It's stacked buttons joined with wire wrapping, and has a cute charm suspended from the bottom. You can see other charms here, including the tape measure, sewing bobbin, sewing machine, and puffed yoyo charms.



There is also a scissor ribbon charm, a beaded yoyo, and a wrapped wire bird's nest.



On the other side there is a heart button charm, a bottle cap charm, and one we call Toni's Tray. Guild member Toni made that one up. It's a jewelry tray piled high with tiny seed beads, and is surprisingly lightweight.



While I was at it, I came across a number of cross charms from necklaces worn over the years that had a broken chain or some other reason they could no longer be worn. But I saved the charms. There they were all sitting together as I pawed through the various findings in my collection, when it dawned on me to make an assemblage necklace using them all at once. I like the idea of assemblage jewelry, so I'm sure this will be my next rabbit trail to follow! There are a lot of pieces and parts in my supply boxes.




9 comments:

JaniceMarie said...

I'll bet your studio is a mini-HobbyLobby, Michaels, and JoAnn's sll rolled into one. Love the necklaces!

ECKDesign said...

LOOOOVE it!! I'll take any of your made charms over beads at our bead bag exchange!!!

sonja said...

Your necklaces are ever so charming and you may even be putting a small dent in your "bits and bobs" stashes!

The Inside Stori said...

Absolutely terrific necklaces…..you go girl!!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'd have trouble giving up that sewing inspired necklace. It's a real gem. Both are truly incredible, but the sewing one really spoke to me. I bet it commands a great deal of money at auction, too. My bits and bobs box looks nothing like yours. Yours must be incredible.

Lynette (NZ) said...

Love these. Look forward to seeing more assemblages

Robbie said...

Your necklace is so interesting!!!! So many unique items to look at...and the cross necklace is a beauty!!!! Glad you are being productive!!! Stay safe!!

judia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.