Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 12, 2024

Hearts Can Be Art...


Vintage photos- always a fan! When a friend posted some family photos recently, I was quite taken with them. This is her grandmother, married at 15 and then following her life's work as a mother and a baker in an Italian bakery. I thought the pose was so graceful and serene, and the photo very expressive. So I printed out a copy and made this Valentine gift to send her. A little lace, some pearls and other embellishments and this mixed media project came together nicely. Size-wise it can be hung on a door knob or drawer pull as a decorative accent. 


Another friend in a local sewing group shared her family photos, too. This portrait of her grandmother was so strikingly artistic. Quite often the people in old photos are staring fixedly at the camera with stoic looks on their faces. But this one looks as if it could have come from a modern-day photo shoot for someone's Instagram page! I thought it was uncommonly pretty, so again made a copy and put together this tag. Those rosy pearls are also a family treasure so I included part of the strand with all the lace and trims. These photo projects are such fun to make and a way to pay tribute to people from the past.



 And in a more current trend, this post card is one of several I made in Alisa Burke's online class titled Graffiti Love. We learned to play with paint layers and messy, expressive lettering and symbols in our art projects. There are ten affordable lessons in the class, and it's another source of mixed media learning and fun! I've just scratched the surface with this one. 

2 comments:

Lynette (NZ) said...

Lovely hearts. I particularly love what you've done with the vintage photos.

Robbie said...

I love the early pictures and think I saw one of these on FB! They are wonderful! Alisa's classes are so cool as is her artwork! I followed her for years and remember before she had her daughter! She's probably a teen by now. I've been defunct in reading blogs lately. Guess I should get busy! HA Nicely done my friend!