Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Look- It's Twins....

I often say I'm not a doll maker. And yet, when I look around my sewing room- well- I seem to be a doll maker. This tall girl is my version of "Coralie", an Art Foamies Doll made in an online class with Kecia Deveney. I bought a foam stamp of the doll's face, and then  used paints to color her face and features. Her dress is sewn from hand-dyed fabric stamped with decolorant to remove color in the mandala flower shapes. Even her necklace with the scissors charm was crafted from bits and pieces I've collected and kept just for her. She's quite charming, don't you think?



But why stop at one? So Coralie got a twin. Again, stamping and painting; stitching and stuffing with fiberfill and doll beads; and hand-embroidering  on her fancy print dress gave this version of the doll her own look. She, too, is wearing a handmade necklace under her lacy collar. These dolls were so much fun to make.



 So when our fiber arts group had a challenge to place 10 items in a brown bag and then each draw a bag to see what we'd work with, I made a third doll using all 10 items in the bag. She's the even-taller girl on the right in the photo. I don't think I've shown her on the blog before. And you can see what I mean about maybe being a doll maker! I have a few more than the just five shown here. I've always heard that any more than two of anything is a collection. Would it surprise you to know that yet another doll is underway? This one is also from a class with Kecia titled Southern Sass, so stay tuned.


6 comments:

FlourishingPalms said...

Indeed, I would say you're a doll maker. :-) It's interesting to learn how you approach making these - the materials you use, and the embellishments you add. And you've worked out how to make them securely stand tall. They're charming. You're obviously enjoying yourself, and that's what counts most!

Lynette (NZ) said...

These are really cool. Such a delight to use your mixed media skills in different ways. I love them :-)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You really ARE a doll maker, Nancy. These are all absolutely stunning. I am truly impressed with these dolls. You have incredible talent.

Janice said...

Since I'm a Bama Babe, looking forward to Southern Sass!

The Inside Stori said...

So very adorable.....I'm so late in my blog reading......just so much going on here keeping up with the husband's two hospital procedures in June plus my upcoming shoulder event. I still can NOT imagine how I will cope...nor the household with me in a sling for 6 weeks (minimum).......super limited activity will drive me crazy but it has to be done!! Mentally preparing my attitude.....

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Fun!!! Love all the added charms and necklaces!!!