Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 23, 2021

If It Isn't Moving...

 


Things that don't move fast enough in my sewing room are likely to get stitched! It happened to this small watercolor painting. I've always liked watercolors, but don't excel at using them. Undaunted, I keep trying. When my local library branch offered a class in using watercolors, I signed up. I enjoyed mixing the colors, finding a light source, and a few other techniques in this basic "101" class. Once I painted the pair of pears, I knew I wanted to accent them with stitches. So I did some free-motion stitching around the pears, and then regular stitching to frame the piece.


A nice thing about the class is that the instructor brought all of the supplies and brushes ready to go.


I'll try all sorts of tutorials for watercolors, and this folk-style house was one. Using crayon marks as a resist, we then filled in with various watercolors. It was a fun project, and it got stitched, too. I appreciate the YouTube instructors who make these learning projects available.


This tutorial was on making "messy" mandalas with watercolors and allowing the colors to flow and blend. Very freeing because I think I try to control watercolors and it just can't be done... not by me, anyway.


This is another messy mandala with a free-motion stitched edge. All of these pieces are going to go together in some type of journal. I'm still inventing that in my mind.


I'm even planning to add stitching to this watercolor girl completed in another online class. I'm not sure how yet, but I think she will be enhanced with sewing. She needs some color added to her eyes and other features as well, so she's a work in progress. I really enjoy sewing paper... it's almost as much fun as sewing quilts!


4 comments:

FlourishingPalms said...

I completely understand your thoughts about watercolor. I too have struggled with it, and given up because my paintings always turned out muddy - I couldn't stop messing with them. (It's that control thing.) You appear to excel at it! Love those mandalas, and your watercolor girls is adorable. Maybe she needs to have a quilt with her. :-) Keep up the great work. You're doing very well!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have trouble controlling watercolors and that is just making backgrounds. I can't draw, so I was impressed with your pears. I really loved the mandalas and how you stitched them, too. I could never draw that girl and bird, so that was very impressive. However,there is one thing I sure agree with uyou on and that is I love sewing paper, and I love it more than sewing fabric. This was a fun post, Nancy.

The Inside Stori said...

What fun…..I so enjoyed seeing the projects!!

sonja said...

your pear is delicious! i love to paint too on anything non moving !! mostly on fabric and also paper. practicing for the last numerous years. and sewing on paper on my feather weight or Bernina.
sewing a painted cloth to cardstock is still fun!