Powered By Blogger

Sunday, November 10, 2019

Bits and Pieces...






Bits and pieces sums up the past month or so for us. We have been traveling some, I've been sewing and crafting some, and visiting family. So this post is a collection of photos on assorted topics. First off, I dug this crazy-pieced heart out of my unfinished projects bin and decided to complete it. It began as assorted scraps of silk neckties. Once I pieced it together, embroidered accents were added. Then I cut and stuffed the heart shape, finishing it off with a few buttons and a beaded edging. I think a couple more tiny buttons are in order along with a beaded wire hanger. It's just the kind of relaxing hand work I enjoy doing in the evenings.



One of our trips was to Arizona in late October, beginning in historic Prescott. While there, we met these museum docents and their little sidekick strolling the streets of downtown. They were happy to oblige me with a photo. Some of them made their own costumes representing the styles of territorial Arizona- a feat I found most impressive. The woman with the carpetbag had made hers, including the quilted and piped short jacket. These docents volunteer at the historic opera house. 


We drove on to Sedona where we visited a collection of charming shops at Tlaquepaque (think Ta-la-ka-pocky). It looked like Autumn with the lovely gourds and pumpkins artfully arranged in the fountain and throughout the grounds. 




And of course, the magnificent red rocks of Sedona never disappoint. I can gaze at them for hours.




One new stop on our Phoenix to Sedona loop was at Western Spirit, Scottsdale's Museum of the West. There were saddles, chaps, and bits galore, along with beautiful paintings and Native American artifacts. This trompe l'oeil (fool the eye) painting was interactive, allowing us to become part of the scene. The horse's muzzle and pond were painted on the floor where we stood. The rocks and sand continued up the wall behind us. The museum docent instructed us where to stand- Jack is at the front and was holding his hand in the air as instructed. I stood further back and also posed as directed. He then took the photo that has us looking as if I'm petting the mane and Jack is ready to leap into the saddle. See that outlaw behind and above me? No worries- he's no match for me- I've got a badge! This was such a clever display.



 Another trip to South Florida to visit family included a stop at the Morse Museum in Winter Park near Orlando. I've been wanting to visit here for a long time. The museum houses a wonderful and extensive collection of works by Louis Comfort Tiffany and non-flash photography was allowed. Included in the collection is this chapel which was once part of the 1893 Chicago Exposition. Imagine that! It was large and awe-inspiring. There were many other stained glass images, lamps, and paintings as well as introductory videos to acquaint visitors with the collection. Well worth a visit.



Winter Park itself is a quaint small town with narrow brick-paved streets and plenty of unique shops. They even put out a bowl of peanuts for the squirrels! I hope you can see it at the bottom of the photo. Now, I really must get back to the sewing room.


8 comments:

Robbie said...

Love the quilted and piped short jacket! And she made them herself! Impressive and so in line with the period of time! I love the interactive display picture. Clever...Tiffany's work is amazing...years ago our art group created quilts based on his work...I read several books about him and it was so interesting! I've only been to Sedona once but it was beautiful and would have been my choice of wintering in AZ but hubby won out with Florida! HA

Powdered Toast Man said...

I like that heart of different fabrics.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How incredibly fascinating. You really HAVE had a lot of fun visiting various places. I love that heart. It's gorgeous. You did a fabulous job.
You visit the most interesting places, Nancy. What a fun look back. Loved the trompe l'oeil photo, too. How fun you got the badge.

I'd LOVE to see some Tiffany lamps. Seems that chapel is also quite amazing. I've been to Winter Park, but didn't know about the Morse Museum until just now.

The Inside Stori said...

What fun reading your travel blog today!

Florida Farm Girl said...

You've had some lovely adventures lately! I'll keep that museum in Scottsdale in mind as we'll be out there the month of January.

Celeste said...

You never disappoint with your blog adventures. Thanks for taking us on the tour with you.

creativelenna said...

I love your crazy pieced heart! I just learned the herringbone stitch yesterday :o) I need to practice to get it to be more even!! But I love doing my little stitch pieces.

merriberri said...

Nancy you know that I am cRaZy about silk ties and your silk tie heart is fabulous! Love the colors you choose and the embroidery details and other embellishments. It’s terrific - please bring to our December gathering.