Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Tag Book Fun...





What to do with bits and pieces of images and project leftovers? My solution is to combine them into a tag book. I keep a box with all sorts of these items in it, and when the spirit moves me, I dig in and look to see which things will play well together. And this is the result. I cut my own tags from black card stock, then arrange and glue away until I'm happy with each tag. Next, I sew the pieces down, leaving the edges until I'm ready to join the tags to make the accordion-style book. So therapeutic!




The ice-dyed silk ribbon from earlier this summer seemed just the right fit to grace the top of each tag. And the blue leaf and feather sun prints on several tags are from Somerset Studio magazine artist papers which are included in the issues. All those images, and hardly a dent in the box contents! I'm sure there's at least one more tag book in there, perhaps more.



I might have used even more images and decorated the back of each tag, but I actually like how the stitching looks from the back. Of course, every book needs a bit of jewelry, so I fashioned three charms to hang from the elastic hair band used to hold the book closed when needed. Book making is so creatively satisfying to me, and there are so many more books and styles of binding I want to try. But in the meantime, the bits and pieces proliferate!


Since I've spent a good part of this summer out of the loop, so to speak, recovering from some health challenges, I was happy to get out for lunch with our daughter Joanna. We went to Bahama Breeze restaurant. Have you visited one of these restaurants? This was our first visit, but won't be our last. The entry is a colorful and inviting porch, and you just have to sit down for a bit.


The decor is inviting, too. High up are these pretty fans. I forgot to include photos of our entrees, but we both enjoyed them- Key West Fish Tacos for Joanna, and Grilled Salmon on Mixed Greens for me.


Does anyone else fall prey to the need to photograph appealing carpets or wall decor in restaurants, hotels and public places? I was very taken with the design on the wall in the ladies room- it looks like layers upon layers. I wish I could achieve that look with paints. A fun time.


5 comments:

Robbie said...

Love your tag book!!! So clever!!!! And a good use for all those little trinkets! Hope you're feeling better and having a good summer! Nice to 'meet' your daughter!!!! And don't forget food pics next time you're out to eat! HA HA

The Inside Stori said...

Sounds like a perfect day to me…….creative inspirations, good food, & family……..

Tag books are new to me….such a good idea…..keep experimenting!

Lynette (NZ) said...

Beautiful tag book. Want to make another after borrowing one back from a friend to demo at last night's journal-making class. They are such fun and paper and stitch always gets my vote ♥

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Now I know what to do with all those tags I've made for challenges. Your sewing and wonderful composition of each of these make you a genuinely original mixed media artist. This is truly impressive. I think the black added to the appeal, too.

To answer your question about eating out, I photograph everything, especially if it's a high end restroom. You found a great place to eat out. I hope your health issues are now a thing of the past and you have fully recovered.

merriberri said...

Love your tag book Nancy and your accordion style binding - very cleaver and looks fun to make. Great seeing you today at FAB!!!