A fiber arts group I belong to issued a challenge to create a journal quilt (about 8” x 11”) around a theme word. This month’s word is “Pucker”. I went right for the obvious and painted a lemon slice on a Gelli-printed background. I’d been wanting to try out some Texture Magic purchased at a quilt show some time ago, so decided to surround the lemon slice with some “puckered” fabric. You can see the amount of texture created on plain cotton fabric using this product which shrinks and bubbles the fabric to about 30% smaller than it started. Fascinating stuff!
Lily looked pensive as she considered the work so far and decided if I could continue working or not. She has a way of making her point about wanting food or attention, and will often jump up on the sewing machine and put a stop to the proceedings until we’re clear about her needs.
This is the packaging for the Texture Magic, and a small piece showing the backside. After stitching a fabric to the product, a steam iron set on high does the work of shrinking up the fabric. You do need to be cautious and hover over, not touch, the Texture Magic with the iron to avoid melting. I found one steam iron worked better than the other as it had a hotter setting and produced more plentiful steam. I also used a hot mitt to hold the iron for safety as the steam rose up around the sides of the iron.
Here are Lily’s paws resting on the lemon. Usually her presence is no problem, but I learned the hard way to keep her out of the sewing room when using tulle over a design. She put some runs in the tulle on one of my quilts with her claws! I look forward to seeing others’ interpretations of “Pucker”. I’ll share some photos here if possible.